My lovely American friend invited me over for brunch which entailed bacon, home-made hash browns and very fluffy thick pancakes, she happily gave me the recipe and I needed to try for myself if it was as easy as she said it was. The recipe is supposed to be easy to remember: 1 of everything, although you have to remember it is only one tablespoon of sweetener or your teeth will fall out. 😉
- 1 cup self raising flour
- 1-3/4 cup milk (depends on how thick or thin you like your pancakes)
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon of sugar or honey
- Butter for cooking
- Fry pan
- Mixing bowl
- Measuring cup for easy pouring of the batter
- Throw all the ingredients into a bowl and mix only until all the ingredients have just been incorporated. Apparently it doesn’t even matter if you don’t get all the flour pockets, just don’t over mix it
- Let it stand in the bowl for 10 minutes
- Grab a measuring cup for easy scooping, I chose my 1/3 cup for smallish pancakes
- Heat the pan on medium heat and throw a knob of butter to oil the pan
- Once the butter is bubbling, scoop a portion of your pancake batter in and it should spread nicely to create circles. I was able to fit two in a big fry pan, because I only added 3/4 cup of milk, it was thick and stayed put
- Flip the pancake once bubbles have formed (should only take a few minutes).
- Once flipped, it only needs around another minute to brown the other side.
- Remember to adjust heat based on your stove top so the pancakes do not burn
This mixture made only 5 fluffy pancakes, it is good portions for one or two people and ensures you’re not eating pancakes for the next week.
They reheat well after a 10-15 seconds in the microwave.
You can also add some berries (frozen or fresh), after you’ve poured the batter into the pan
Throw all the ingredients in a bowl, mix, rest for 10 minutes, scoop, cook, flip and eat, it is that easy.
TimmyC has his with maple syrup and ice cream, I prefer mine with Lyle’s Golden syrup.They’re so fluffy!!I think I have found a winner, these pancakes are thick and fluffy, the ingredients list is easy to remember and are basic staple to the kitchen pantry/fridge. I will just have to keep an eye on the cooking so they don’t look so brown around the edges. That is one out of five completed for my New Year’s resolution. It’s already August, eeep!
2 thoughts on “Pancake trial #3”
I’ve become a total pancake addict as my blog will reveal. So easy to make and totally delicious
Oh I’ll definitely check that out. Thanks