As the temperature dips in Australia, it definitely feels like soup weather. I was supposed to post this earlier for a friend but since tomorrow is forecasted for possible snow in Canberra, this might be the perfect timing.
Cauliflower and leek soup
Serves 4 (10 minutes prep, 45 minutes cooking time)
- olive oil
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 2 leeks
- 1 head of cauliflower
- 2 cups (500mL) of vegetable stock
- 1/2 cup (125mL)of thickened cream
- salt and pepper
- deep pot
- stick blender
- Thinly slice the white part of the leeks (yes it needs to be said for some people)
- Heat a pot to medium/high heat
- Add some olive oil and sauté garlic and leeks until translucent
- Add florets of the cauliflower and diced stem to the pot and stir fry for 5 minutes
- Add the vegetable stock
- Bring to boil and then reduce heat to simmer for 30 minutes
- Take off heat and blend the soup with the stick blender until smooth
- Return to low heat, add cream and then salt and pepper to taste
- Ready to serve when it is hot again (but not boiling)
For a smoky bacon flavour, crisp up 250g diced smoked bacon and blend most of it in step #7. Top with remaining bacon bits when serving.
This is a picture of the bacon version, I didn’t top mine with bacon because I ate the remaining bacon. Let’s keep that a secret between you and me.