A follow on from my previous post “What? When did that happen?“, I am still finding myself uttering these words as my grip of the Canberra dining scene seems to slowly be slipping through my fingers.
1. Buttermilk and bourbon fried chicken with waffles is coming to Woden. “Seriously, when did that happen?”
Okay that was just a menu item, their actual name is No. 10 restaurant and bar. According to their Instagram account, the first week of October is when they plan to open. There are plenty of things on the menu that have caught my eye, check them out here.
2. Turkish Pide House City has now closed. “Seriously, when did that happen?”
Apparently for ages! I drive past it all the time and always assumed it was there but now something new is taking its space. Hopefully not long to go.
3. Damian Brabender is finally opening his restaurant Otis . “Seriously, when did that happen?”
Technically this hasn’t happened yet for the public, but my friend was lucky enough to attend a soft launch and I cannot wait to eat one of everything from the menu. See a sneak peek from Michelle here.
4. Shannon’s BBQ is now closed. “Seriously, when did that happen?”
Or not paying their phone bill, I can’t tell since their phone line is disconnected. This was also on my ‘to eat list’ but I never got around to eating there and now it looks like I never will. Does anyone know what happened to this place?
5. Rockin’ Ribs has now closed. “Seriously, when did that happen?”
I never made it to Rockin’ Ribs after Victor died but now the whole place is completely empty and available for lease. All the BBQ places seemed to have closed up shop in Canberra.
6. Fried Korean Chicken is coming to Dickson. “Seriously, when did that happen?”
I recently walked past and saw signs for Rogane Chimac opening next to Kingsland. I don’t know when it will open (or if it has already), but it didn’t look like it was far off. They have more than fried chicken, but does it really matter?
7. Gus’ is now closed. “Seriously, when did that happen?”
Now this is starting to show how little I venture into Civic and I’m probably the last one to know about this, but Gus’ cafe has been closed since around June(?!?). Gus’ has been around for so long, I was shocked to hear that it closed.
8. Mills and Grills is providing ribs and pizza to Canberra. “Seriously, when did that happen?”
According to my friends Mills and Grills have been open for ‘a long time’, which really means I need new friends or a better radar. They are loving their pizza but I want to try out their ribs. Check out the menu at here.
9. There is a restaurant out near the airport. “Seriously, when did that happen?”
It is called Helix bar and dining and located inside the Vibe hotel and a lot of reviews say it is over priced and the service is sub par. It doesn’t sound like a place that I want to rush out and try.
Has there been anything happening around the Canberra dining scene that has got you asking “seriously, when did that happen?”